Sunday 15 May 2016

Studio Visit - Arcus Animation Studios

Arcus Animation Studios in Newcastle are a small animation company made of 6 amazing and talented animators/illustrators/artists. I came across their website on Vimeo when looking at a few motion graphic adverts for inspiration for a title sequence for my Extended Project. I immediately feel in love with the studio’s work. I adored the installation piece, The Loop, they made in the centre of Newcastle. They projected a Zoetrope style animation into a confined space, so when the public peered inside they got the effect of a Zoetrope. Not only was the style and movement of the animation gorgeous, it was innovative, it was thinking outside of the box and I loved how they made it interactive for a wider audience.

I contacted Miguel O’keefe, Studio Manager, to arrange the visit and he was lovely, he helped me during the day that I visited with giving me tasks and advice in the industry. When I went to go visit the studio, I was incredibly nervous and I brought everything with me, 3 sketchbooks and a laptop just in-case I needed anything or if they wanted to look at my work. I was greeted by an amazingly friendly and funny team of animators who gave me so much advice and tips on how they got into the industry. It was definitely an eye opener for me. I knew that the industry was difficult but just hearing this from somebody in the industry made it more real. James Taylor, Head of Arcus and lead storyboard artist, said that he went straight to an MA which helped him a lot with his practice as well as attending a storyboard course. I debated whether or not to go for an MA but I need to research more before I can make a decision.




James took me through his storyboards and his own personal project, which I can’t discuss, however it was very innovative, jam packed with adventure, action and humour, and I can’t wait to see it animated! I really liked James’s storyboards they had a good professional aesthetic that was easy to understand and follow but held a nice illustrative appeal as well. I was really inspired through his work and I wanted to learn from his work and advice, to incorporate into my COP3 practical.

Visiting Arcus was an absolutely amazing experience. I enjoyed being in the studio, it was interesting to see what job roles everyone was delegated with and listening into critiques and idea storming for new briefs that they had just taken. I want to keep in touch with everyone at the studio, everyone was so lovely and friendly, and I would love to share my work with them for feedback.
Here are my notes during the day:

+ Write their own version of the script – dialogue next to a description of what the shot would contain.
+ Some clients give them powerpoints/pitches for them to work from, write their own notes alongside the clients. Use skype to contact clients.
+ USE TOON BOOM STORYBOARD PRO! – increased usage in the work place – really good layout storyboards, rough to ink – quick and easy, tools like photoshop brushes etc. Can make animatics in this but would be more easier to make in After Effects or Premiere. James uses Premiere. 
+ Tom uses After Effects to animate.
+ Will have meetings, brain storming for latest projects most days.
+ Think of storyboards as a sequential art – if you have to use words to describe what is happening you haven’t done your job. Storyboards are kind of like key frames – you need to add more to show what is happening.
+ Flash is being used more and more in industry, apparently it has died online. More likely to use to make animatics than storyboards.
+ Both James and Tom did an MA straight after university and say that it is the thing that gets you the job.
+ Storyboards are always a thumbnail at the top of the screen, use as a reference whilst animating.  Use After Effects quite a lot.
+ Sometimes get storyboard artists in, Freelance.
+ Might be an idea to go straight into Freelance – can get £300 a day for work if they’re good enough. – some comic book artists do this.
+ “You know you have a good job if you can wear your own clothes”
+ Don’t earn a lot but it’s something, you have to love what you do to be able to do this, to be able to do this all your life.
+ Will have multiple jobs/briefs going on in the studio, 3 would work by themselves and 3 would team up etc.

Whilst at the Studio I had to sign a disclaimer so I cannot talk about the majority of the work that I saw or the script for the storyboards that I made whilst I was there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment