Wednesday 18 May 2016

Vinyl Stickers Design and Badges

I wanted to make a simple sticker sheet that would be aesthetically pleasing to the audience and further promote my Final Major Project. For my sticker sheet I mainly used lineart from the character turnaround and expression sheets. I added a spyglass as I felt it was a nice addition, with the shadow being released from it in the pilot episode. In addition I purposely made the sticker sheet A6,  as it is better suited to the size of the stickers and less expensive to create in batches. I was a bit stuck with the layout, I wanted to jam pack in as much as I could but I didn't like the design so far.

Peers feedback told me that there were too many designs of the characters heads, there needed to be less, with different designs other than the two characters. I agreed with this feedback, I needed to narrow down the main designs that I wanted on the sheet as well as more space between the designs so it doesn't seem cluttered. I thought about the different designs that I could add to the sheet, and it made me think of the COP3 storyboards that I made featuring these characters. I wanted to use the background content in these storyboards as inspiration, the rows of cabinets that held skulls and treasure chests etc. I really liked this idea, it was another nice connection to the work that I have made. 

Old Version
With this version, I took away some of the character heads and replaced them with a treasure chest, a knights helmet and a skull. Adding them to the layout of the sticker sheet and moving the title into the center of the sheet worked successfully. I really liked the layout, there was enough space around each item and it didn't seem too cluttered compared to the previous version. I went back for feedback from my peers, they really liked the design and added that the title could be a sticker as well, but with out the white outline as it wouldn't work with the stroke already on the text. I will definitely print a batch of these sheets out for the end of year show, I think it works well and is a lovely addition to the rest of the marketing designs.


Final Version

I wasn't too sure about making badges, I thought that it would be quite apt to have these alongside the sticker sheet. I do have a badge maker at home so it wouldn't be too difficult to make them, it would also be cost effective as some websites charge £3 just for one badge. I wanted my badges to be at least 30mm diameter. For the badges design I wanted something that looked fun and aesthetically pleasing to the viewer with close ups of the characters faces and the main image I have been using for the cover of my artbook, dvd booklet, business cards, portfolio etc. I wanted this to be a nice link to all of the designs. I enjoyed making the designs however I am still not entirely sure if I will make these for the end of year show, however I wanted to continue making the design just in case I do.

Peer feedback suggested that the imagery for the badges worked successfully but it felt like some of the designs were missing something. This could be fixed by adding the title of the animation on the curve of the badge, I believe this would work quite well, I could also add the spyglass for one of the designs or skull from the sticker sheet which would look quite nice with the rest of the badges.

I started to add the text to the designs - as I was using photoshop, I wasn't entirely sure how to make the text write onto a path as I first used the preset designs that move the text into an arc shape, etc, but this wasn't the effect that I wanted. I decided to make a marquee selection that was the same size as the badge outline, turning it into a path, and then attempting to type onto the path. This worked successfully and I was able to scale it down/rotate to suit the image. Overall I am very pleased with my designs for the badges, with adding a few extra variants, the skull and the knights helmet, I felt that it connected more with my pilot episode and other marketing material.


Old version of badges designs

Added text - Final Badge set



No comments:

Post a Comment